Monthly Project and Purchase Roundup: July

The simplest project I completed this month was to mount my .22 caliber pellet rifle above the door from the kitchen to the back porch. This was in order to make it handy for shooting rabbits that have been decimating my tomato plants. I went to Ace Hardware and bought 2 brass coat/hat hooks for a total of $10, and mounted them above the door. This has made it much easier to grab the pellet rifle when there is a rabbit in the garden.

Another project had to do with the chickens. We were steadily losing chickens–always during the day–with no sign of what was taking them. I bought some light plastic netting at True Value for a total of $55 and covered the entire pen. A few days later, I saw a black cat outside the pen, apparently foiled by the netting. I shot it with the pellet gun, and we haven’t lost a chicken since.

When I originally fenced the chicken pen, I used free welded wire fencing given to me by a friend that had moved. But at the chickens have grown, the space became insufficient, and too-heavy traffic meant that the grass was being destroyed. So when

Read more…

Weekly Project and Purchase Roudup, Week Ending 6/3/17

I’m late again, but better late than never, right? We’ll start with the purchases this past week. I spent $36 on Rhode Island Red chicks, which I ordered online from Tractor Supply Co. The minimum order is 10 chicks, so I ordered 10, but I received 12. 1 died after 2 days, but the other 11 have about doubled in size and seem healthy. I spent $100 at True Value on 2 chick feeders, 2 chick waterers, a scratch block, a 5 pound bag of dried mealworms, and a few bags of feed. I spent $25 at Wal-Mart for a large plastic tote with lid, which I drilled air holes in and use to house the chicks indoors at night.

Read more…

Weekly Project and Purchase Roundup, 5/19/17

My son began his first attempts at crawling this week. He still faceplants regularly, and sometimes moves backwards when he is trying to go forwards, much to his consternation. Watching him took precedence over getting a lot done this week, and rain and the need to mow the lawn twice contributed to less projects as well.

For Mother’s Day, I got the wife a new galvanized steel 3-gallon pail and a new clothesline. The clothesline is the tree type, that spins around a central pole. My first project of the week was installing it.

Read more…

Weekly Project and Purchase Roundup, Week Ending 5/13/17

In progress of lifting the deck

I know, I’m late in getting this out. Other than the muzzleloading rife I’ve already posted about, I made two other major purchases this week–posts for them are forthcoming. None of the major purchases, including the muzzleloader, were planned for this week. However, all three of them were things that have been on my list of things to buy for months.

Read more…

Weekly Project and Purchase Roundup, 5/6/17

Getting started
Mostly done

Working overtime and some other obligations made this a week of few projects. The first and biggest was to remove a stump I’ve been mowing around since we moved in. When I started on it, my wife had the car grocery shopping, and I had no gas for my chain saw. I did most of the work armed only with a shovel, an axe, and a bow saw. After the wife got back, I bought some gas and finished with the chain saw.

Read more…

Weekly Project and Purchase Roundup, 4/28/17

One of my new trees

This week was extra productive due to having some extra time off of work.

A while back, I received a mailer from the Arbor Day Foundation offering me 10 Colorado Blue Spruce seedlings and 2 Lilac seedlings for a $10 donation. I am a big fan of lilacs, and so I sent them a check for $10. This week the seedlings arrived, so I spent a day digging and turning 12 3-foot diameter holes and planting my seedlings.

When we moved in last fall

Read more…